Mark N. Awantang, M.D.
To view more patient reviews and ratings for Dr. Awantang, please click below.
Fellowship-trained upper extremity surgeon Dr. Mark Awantang is board-certified in orthopaedic surgery by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and holds a Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopaedic Surgery of the Hand. Dr. Awantang is the only surgeon in Panama City who is board-certified in hand surgery. Originally from Yaoundé, Cameroon, Dr. Awantang has been caring for patients in Florida since 2012 and joined Orthopaedic Associates in 2022.
Dr. Awantang received his bachelor’s degree in biology from Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland, where he was part of the all-conference basketball team in 1997 and still holds the college’s single-game and season blocked-shot records. Dr. Awantang earned his medical degree from Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine in Dayton, Ohio.
Dr. Awantang completed his surgical training in general and orthopaedic surgery at Howard University Hospital in Washington, D.C., where he was later a member of the hand and upper extremity surgery team. This was after Dr. Awantang completed additional training in orthopaedic upper extremity care at The University of Alabama at Birmingham through a fellowship and served as a member of the staff at Martinsburg VA Medical Center in West Virginia.
As a former collegiate athlete, Dr. Awantang understands the importance of upper extremity function in performance and quality of life and is committed to helping his patients achieve the best possible outcomes. Dr. Awantang serves as a team physician for Bay High School, and he still participates in basketball, football, and tennis in his free time. He also enjoys spending time with his wife and four children as well as traveling and studying history.
Dr. Awantang is available to see patients at our location in Panama City.
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: Washington College, Chestertown, MD, 1997
- Doctor of Medicine: Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, Dayton, OH, 2001
- General Surgery Internship: Howard University Hospital, Washington, D.C., 2001 – 2002
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Howard University Hospital, Washington, D.C., 2002 – 2006
- Orthopaedic Upper Extremity Fellowship: The University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL, 2006 – 2007
- Hand & Upper Extremity Care
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Shoulder Instability Repair
- Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand