Orthopaedic Associates and Dr. Theodore Macey are proud to offer the latest in customized knee replacement technology—iTotal from ConforMIS. ConforMIS customized knee replacements are designed to match the unique size and shape of each patient’s knee.
In traditional knee replacement surgery, the surgeon selects an “off-the-shelf” implant from a range of standard fixed sizes, and then has to make the necessary adjustments to fit the implant to the patient during the procedure. Because these off-the-shelf knee replacements aren’t designed to your specific anatomy, surgeons have to compromise on implant fit. This compromise may result in having implant overhang (implant hangs over the bone) or underhang (the implant is too small, leaving the bone exposed and uncovered). It could also result in an implant that isn’t aligned properly.
Clinical studies have demonstrated that these compromises on fit can cause residual pain after surgery. ConforMIS designs partial and total knee implants to fit the patient, not the other way around. Proven elements of standard knee replacement are combined with proprietary iFit Image-to-Implant® technology to create customized knee implants and surgical instrumentation that are designed to fit your knee’s natural shape and curves.
How ConforMIS iFit® Technology Works
ConforMIS iFit Image-to-Implant technology converts a CT scan of your knee into a 3-D model and then designs an implant that’s unique to you. This fully automated process ensures that your implant is made for your knee, and only your knee.
- Your doctor will give you a prescription for a diagnostic CT scan of your hip, knee, and ankle.
- The CT scan will be sent to ConforMIS.
- Using your CT scan, a 3-D model of your knee is developed and will be used to individualize your implant.
- Your implant and surgical instrumentation are designed and manufactured specifically for you.
- Your implant will be delivered to the hospital a few days before surgery.
Watch a short video below to learn more about ConforMIS.